Most thought Johnny Townsend’s part

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  chenyan94 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
     chenyan94 
    Participant

in the Raiders’ punter battle should have ended last season. Even with no punter on the team [url=http://www.raidersfansclub.com/brandon-parker-jersey/]Brandon Parker Jersey[/url] , it wouldn’t have been hard to find a punter off the street who…” />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesSilver And Black Pride homepageHorizontal – WhiteSilver And Black Pridean Oakland Raiders communityFollow Silver And Black Pride online:Follow Silver And Black Pride on TwitterFollow Silver And Black Pride on FacebookLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchSilver And Black Pride main menuFanpostsFanshotsRaidersOddsAboutMastheadCommunity GuidelinesStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal – WhiteFanposts Fanshots Raiders StoriesScheduleRosterStatsYahoo Raiders NewsYahoo Raiders Team PageYahoo Raiders ReportYahoo Raiders Depth ChartYahoo Raiders TransactionsYahoo Raiders PhotosOdds About Masthead Community Guidelines StubHub ✕AJ Cole knows competition for Raiders punter job continues even with Johnny Townsend outNew,39commentsPDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:AJ Cole knows competition for Raiders punter job continues even with Johnny Townsend outTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailOakland RaidersMost thought Johnny Townsend’s part in the Raiders’ punter battle should have ended last season. Even with no punter on the team, it wouldn’t have been hard to find a punter off the street who could outperform him. But with a lost season, punter was the least of Jon Gruden’s problems. So, Townsend remained.At one point this offseason, the Raiders had three punters on the roster – Townsend, Drew Kaser, and undrafted rookie A.J. Cole. That didn’t last long as roster spots are precious and Kaser got the ax. Once that happened, it looked like the Raiders might let the competition go through the 53-man roster cutdown following the preseason. After the first preseason game, that battle ended. Townsend was out and Cole was the last man standing.“Yeah, I guess in some ways I probably thought this would go through the end of camp,” said a surprised AJ Cole.“[Special Teams] Coach [Rich] Bisaccia asked me if I had a chance to see Johnny and I didn’t really know what had happened. I said no and then he was just like ‘it’s your time to go, make sure you get your act together and make sure you play the way you’re capable of.’”“It kind of caught me off guard, but to me it just meant that they believe in what I do, they believe I can be a difference maker in this league. I just got to go out there and I don’t have to try and do anything crazy I just have to be myself and play within my constraints and do what I’m comfortable with and I’m going to help this team win football games.”Understand, Cole initially came to the Raiders rookie minicamp as a tryout player and he didn’t even expect them to sign him. The four-year NC State punter never put up great distance numbers for the Wolfpack, but the Raiders were impressed by his pooch punting and saw potential in his occasional booming punts. Since then he’s had the opportunity to really hone in on his skills and be more consistent with those big punts.Those big punts had Gruden comparing Cole’s leg strength to Raiders great Shane Lechler and he even tossed in Marquette King’s name — the big legged, but big mouth punter who Gruden cut even before offseason practices began. The comparison to Lechler in particular, Cole called “unbelievable.”“Shane Lechler’s one of the greatest that’s ever played this position and to even have your name mentioned in that stratosphere is kind of a surreal experience,” Cole said. “I mean what he did for the punting position and just the consistency and for so many years. Playing 15 plus years in the NFL it’s incredibly hard to do.”Consistency is the area Cole had to work on the most in training camp. And his strides in that area have been noticeable. The final thing the Raiders needed to see was if he could do it in an actual game. Cole did that in the first preseason game, nailing four punts with no returns and two stopped inside the 20. That was the clincher that ended Townsend’s part in the competition.“Bisaccia said before that it really only matters what you do when the lights come on [url=http://www.raidersfansclub.com/arden-key-jersey/]Arden Key Jersey[/url] ,” said Cole. “You can be a practice All Star but if you show up in the game and shank the ball and don’t play like you did in practice it doesn’t really matter. You could hit thousands of punts in your life and if you only hit 60 in a season, that’s the 60 everybody is going to judge you off of. And that’s the 60 that they’re going to rank you by and that’s the 60 they’re going to decide your future based on. So, it really only does matter in those situations so I think that going out there and putting a couple good punts on film in a real game probably played a factor.”Being a good holder was also important. He has improved in that area, and he and kicker Daniel Carlson will benefit greatly from Cole no longer having to split holding duties in practice.It’s important that Cole understands this isn’t the end of his competition. First and foremost, he must compete with himself. He must constantly improve in order to prove he has the potential Bisaccia and Gruden see in him. There will be more something like 30 punters hitting the waiver wire soon and Cole will have to show the Raiders enough to keep them from thinking the legs are always bigger on the other guys.“I don’t think the mentality changes at all,” Cole said. “I think that just because I’m the only punter here doesn’t mean I’m the only punter. There’s plenty of really good players that don’t have contracts right now and I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing.”Cole wasn’t just punting in the game Saturday, he was kicking off. It’s a skill Gruden has lauded because it shows Cole’s versatility. Daniel Carlson isn’t at risk of losing his job as the field goal kicker. Not after hitting 16 of 17 field goal attempts last season. But if Cole can show he can be a better kick off guy, he could be used there. Or at very least he offers some insurance at the position. Cole said he could even be an emergency field goal kicker.Nothing is a given at this point. It’s Cole’s job to lose. Continuing his progress will ensure he doesn’t lose it.Follow @LeviDamienSilver Mining 9/7: Kolton Miller grateful to have Donald Penn’s help, happy to have stayed close to home Raiders NewsOakland Raiders: Kolton Miller happy to play near family | The Sacramento BeeKolton Miller, a Roseville High School graduate, is the starting left tackle for the Oakland Raiders, who selected him out of UCLA with their first-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft. Playing near family is a bonus.AJ McCarron discusses trade to Raiders, learning Jon Gruden’s offenseAlthough he’s only been a Raider for a few days, AJ McCarron now plays a vital role for the Silver and Black.2018 Raiders unit breakdowns – SFChronicle.comOFFENSE Run The Raiders are expected to have a physical, downhill running scheme that incorporates both zone- and gap-blocking schemes.Oakland Raiders: Bruce Irvin on cusp, Gareon Conley on hot seat | The Sacramento BeeFour predictions for the Oakland Raiders season, including whether Jon Gruden’s return can spark the team’s commitment to excellence or if a defense without Khalil Mack will be the reason there’s another playoff absence.NFL: Despite what Roger Goodell says, some teams can’t make Super BowlFor Bears, Bills, Browns, Bucs and Raiders [url=http://www.raidersfansclub.com/nick-nelson-jersey/]Nick Nelson Jersey[/url] , the NFL season might as well already be over despite what Commissioner Roger Goodell says.AFC West Denver Broncos’ new additions will improve the woeful red zone offenseIn just five years, the Broncos have sunk from first in points per red-zone possession (5.87) to last (3.83).Bradley Chubb gives Broncos one of NFL’s top pass rushing unitsInside the Broncos’ draft room in April, general manager John Elway sat among his coaches and advisers, examining every possibility for the fifth overall pick.Chargers’ chief concern is getting off to a good start against defending AFC West championsThe Chargers suddenly are approaching their opener with one notable hobble as defensive end Joey Bosa did not practice Thursday because of a foot injury suffered in early August.Mike Pouncey brings ‘energy and nastiness’ to Chargers’ run game – Los Angeles Chargers Blog- ESPNThe Chargers haven’t beaten the Chiefs in eight tries, but Mike Pouncey might be the man to help change that by bolstering Los Angeles’ run game.Changes to secondary threaten Chiefs’ success against Philip Rivers – NFL Nation- ESPNThe Chiefs picked off Philip Rivers six times in 2017, but of KC’s 10 defensive backs, four have arrived in the past month and three in the past week.Chiefs will make early AFC West statement to division rivalDave Tuley, senior reporter at VSiN, joins the Post’s Bettor’s Guide for the 2018 NFL season. His handicapping pieces appear in VSiN’s online magazine,…NFL NewsWeek 1 NFL score predictions – Viewers’ guide, best games, fantasy outlook, more – 2018Winners for every matchup. Fantasy nuggets to get you through the weekend. Plus everything you need to catch up on Week 1. It’s all here.The NFL world still despises NBC’s ‘Green Zone’NBC’s Green Zone isn’t a hit with NFL fans.What is an RPO and how is it different in the NFL versus college football? – SBNation.comCollege rules give RPOs more flavor, but as the NFL playoffs showed, they still work at every level.Eagles hold off Falcons to win flawed NFL season opener | SI.comThe Eagles-Falcons NFL season opener was marred by a rain delay, poor offensive play, tons of penalties, no touchdowns until the second half… but look closely and you’ll see flashes of brilliance amid the mess.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©[2017] Bommarito Digital

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account